Wednesday, August 6, 2014

An Amazing Discovery! I Still Can't Believe It!!!!!

We spent an entire day removing all the shredded papyrus from the reliquary inside the chamber, then all of us spent the night at Dr. Rossini's house in Capri village. (These entries are supposed to be more about our dig than about my emotions, but I have to say that I think am falling in love with Isabella.  She and I have now had several lengthy conversations, and my fascination with her is growing with each one. And - dare I say it - I think my interest may be returned!  My only regret is that she, as far as I can tell, is not a believer in Christ.  However, she is also open-minded about the Gospel - more so than most scientists I have known, anyway.  I don't know where this relationship is going, but I do believe it is going somewhere!)
     This morning we made the trek up the Via Tiberio, the road that leads up to the Villa Jovis, and with the help of our two security guards, we carefully moved the reliquary into the mobile lab.  Once there, we were able to use the key (with the help of a little WD-40!) to open the locked compartment in the top left corner of the reliquary.  Inside were two scrolls, still rolled up and sealed with the signet ring Isabella and Giuseppe found on the day they first entered the chamber - the ring of Tiberius Caesar himself!
     We carefully removed the first scroll from the compartment and laid it on a stainless steel tray in the lab.  Not only was it still sealed with Tiberius' ring, there were the remnants of an earlier, previous seal that had once been applied - and the Emperor had labeled the scroll, writing a few Latin words along the outside of the roll.  It was entitled "The Last Will and Testament of Caesar Augustus."
    What an amazing discovery!  The idea that we had, in our possession, a document written and sealed by Rome's first and greatest Emperor was breathtaking!  But there was still another sealed scroll to remove from the compartment.  Father MacDonald asked me to lift it out, so I placed it on a separate tray and leaned forward to read the label Tiberius had scribbled on the outside of it.
    When I saw what it was, my knees literally went out from under me.  They had to help me to a chair, and I couldn't even articulate what I had read for a moment.  A short, simple Latin label -
Testimonium Pontii Pilati Procuratoris Iudaeae  - "The Testimony of Pontius Pilate, Governor of Judea."
     I am still in disbelief.  A report from the man who sent Jesus of Nazareth to the cross!  And what's more - I think I know what it is!  Justin Martyr, writing to the Emperor Antoninus Pius in 150 AD, was trying to get Nero's ban on Christianity lifted.  After explaining the story of the crucifixion, he told the Emperor that he could verify the truth of Justin's writings by consulting "the Acts of Pontius Pilate."  There was obviously some sort of report to Rome from Pilate about the trial of Jesus - after all, it caused a near-riot in Jerusalem - that was still extant over a century later.  Could this be it? Could this be the account of Jesus' trial by the very man who presided over it?  My heart is still racing at the thought!
     The entire governing board of the Bureau of Antiquities is supposed to come to Capri tomorrow to view our discoveries and decide how to proceed from here.  When this discovery is announced to the media, I think that our dig is going to become the most famous archeological excavation since the discovery of King Tut's tomb!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment